Open Burning No. 101019 (Replaces No. 02119 & Chapter 660 Open Burning): No outdoor fire or burning of any nature or for any purpose shall be kindled or maintained in the Borough of West Mayfield except as listed in the following subsections: An outdoor fire or ceremonial fire may be maintained if done so pursuant to a permit from the Department of Environmental Protection and if approved by the Borough and the West Mayfield Volunteer Fire Department.
An outdoor fire may be maintained for cooking purposes using charcoal, wood or gas fires in approved closed containers such as metal barbecue grills with covers, covered hibachis or commercial grills which utilize propane or natural gas for combustion.
Open fires may be set for recreational purposes pursuant to the following specific conditions:
(1) Only dry and seasoned tree wood shall be burned, and no excessive smoke is allowed.
(2) Recreational fires shall be contained in a pit made of noncombustible material such as iron, steel, masonry or stone. Said fire pit must be located not closer than fifteen feet to any structure. A recreational fire pit shall be no more than 2.5 feet high and five feet in diameter.
(3) A water hose and/or buckets/sprinkling cans shall be proximal to the recreational fire for purposes of controlling the same.
(4) No recreational fire is allowed to be left unattended. An adult at least twenty one (21) years old must supervise said fire until the last spark goes out.
(5) In cases where smoke and/or hot ashes blow directly into windows and/or roofs of adjacent homes, smoke shall be cleared or fire extinguished.
(6) Recreational fires shall be extinguished thoroughly before leaving the area or at 12:00 a.m.