Fire Prevention Week: Scald Prevention

The West Mayfield Volunteer Fire Department and the West Mayfield Borough remind you:

Call 911

 Fire Prevention Week: Scald Prevention

A scald injury can happen at any age. Hot liquids from bath water, hot coffee and even microwaved soup can cause devastating injuries.  View and download this handy fact sheet about Scald Prevention.

Scald Prevention Guide

Think Fire Safety!

Cooking Safety GuideFIRE PREVENTION WEEK

The West Mayfield Volunteer Fire Department and West Mayfield Borough will be promoting National Fire Prevention Week (October 6-12, 2013) by offering a daily online series of fire prevention topics.

This five-part series from the National Fire Protection Association will cover a variety of important safety topics.

A handy downloadable fact sheet will be available on the website, and we encourage all residents to share this information with your family, friends, and neighbors.

 Monday:  Cooking

Cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries.

Tuesday: Microwave Oven Safety

By following a few simple safety tips, you can prevent painful burns and possible fires.

Wednesday: Scald Prevention

A scald injury can happen at any age. Hot liquids from bath water, hot coffee and even microwaved soup can cause devastating injuries.

Thursday: Escape Planning

Fire can spread rapidly through your home, leaving you as little as two minutes to escape safely once the alarm sounds.

Friday: Smoke Alarms

Smoke alarms that are properly installed and maintained play a vital role in reducing fire deaths and injuries.

 

West Mayfield Emergency Response Tip: Cold Weather Fire Safety

The West Mayfield Volunteer Fire Department reminds us to be fire-safe during cold weather:

Portable Heaters
* Portable or alternative heating devices used incorrectly can create fire hazards.

* Keep children and pets away from the heater; maintain 3 feet of clearance to combustible materials.

* Only use heaters that are in good working condition.

* Be sure the heater has an emergency shutoff in case the heater is tipped over.

* Read and understand the manufacturer’s instructions.

* Only purchase and use heaters that have been tested by an approved testing laboratory.

Kerosene Heaters
* Many people use kerosene heaters to supplement their household heating system. When improperly used, kerosene heaters can be extremely dangerous.

* Inspect exhaust parts for black, carbon buildup.

* Fuels such as kerosene can produce deadly fumes, so it is important that the room is adequately vented. Most manufacturers require a window or door to the exterior to be open 1-3 inches to provide fresh air.

* Use fuels recommended by the manufacturer (only use kerosene in a kerosene heater).

* Fill and re-fill the heater outdoors after it has cooled.

* Keep the heater away from children, pets and combustible materials (maintain 3 feet of clearance).

Electric Heaters
* Never place under a desk or on top of combustible items. Electric heaters need space too.

* Plug directly into an electric outlet. Don’t use an extension cord, as it  can easily overheat.

* Do not use in wet or damp conditions.

Furnace Heating Safety
* Be sure all furnace controls and emergency shutoffs are in proper working condition.

* Leave furnace repairs to qualified specialists. Do not attempt repairs yourself unless you are qualified.

* Keep trash and other combustibles away from the heating system (maintain 3 feet of clearance.

Wood Stove and Fireplace Safety
* Be sure the fireplace or stove is installed properly. Wood stoves should have proper floor support as well as adequate clearance (36″) from combustible materials.

* Have the chimney inspected annually and cleaned if necessary.

* Do not use flammable liquids, like gasoline, to start or accelerate any fire.

* Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening, to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out, and to help prevent the possibility of burns to people and pets.

* Don’t use excessive amounts of paper to build roaring fires in fireplaces. It is possible to ignite creosote in the chimney by overbuilding the fire.

* Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal can give off lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.

* Keep combustible materials away from your fireplace mantel. A spark from the fireplace could easily ignite theses materials.

* Before you go to sleep, be sure your fireplace fire is out.

* Never close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace. A closed damper will force toxic carbon monoxide into the house.

* Never discard hot ashes inside or near the home. Place them in a metal container outside and well away from the house.

And Remember…Smoke alarms save lives!
* Some smoke alarms may be dependent on your home’s electrical service and could be inoperative during a power outage.

* Check to see if your smoke alarm uses a back-up battery and install a new battery at least once a year.

* Smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your home.

* All smoke alarms should be tested monthly.

Special thanks to the City of Georgetown, South Carolina